Tips to ensure a friendly rental car experience
With vast open spaces, endless hidden treasures in remote off the beaten track destinations and national parks teeming with wildlife, South Africa is best discovered in a self drive road trip, particularly if it is a family getaway.
As the jewel in the crown, Cape Town tourists are likely to start their vacation at the southernmost tip of the African continent. From the winelands of the Cape to the rugged mountainous point where the two great oceans meet, visitors will be entranced at the beauty and bounty of “the fairest cape in all the world”.
Cape Town car hire – the cost effective, flexible self drive option
Cape Town car hire is undoubtedly a cost effective and flexible road option, where international or local visitors can fly into Cape Town international Airport, collect the pre-reserved rental car on-site and set out on an adventure of a lifetime.
With few constraints and a handy regional map of the area or the GPS set for your next intriguing destination, self drive holidays ensure you spend exactly the right amount of time at each attraction or destination with total privacy and flexibility.
Car rental guide
When considering car hire, however, it is always a good idea to follow the steps set out below:
- Reserve Cape Town car hire at least a week prior to your arrival. Not only will you avoid the disappointment of failing to secure the correct vehicle for your South African road trip but you may be in line for a welcome ‘early bird’ discount too.
- Always select Cape Town car hire from a reputable car rental company based on rates, vehicle availability and outstanding service. Although many smaller rental companies may offer ridiculously cheap car rental rates, the likelihood is that they will come up short on road side assistance and customer service.
- Ask your insurance broker whether your existing policy covers the theft or damage of the rental car. If not, consider taking out one or both of the insurance policies sold by the rental company – Collision Damage & Theft Waiver or Super Cover.
- Err on the side of caution and add all prospective drivers to the rental contract, regardless of the additional fees. If not, you may well discover the insurance coverage of the hire car has been compromised, incurring huge repair or replacement costs.
- Inspect the motor vehicle from top to bottom in the company of a sales agent before you drive it off the lot and make a note of all the scratches, dings and dents, so that you are not held liable for any damages.
- Do not become involved in any restricted activities such as crossing national borders or towing without permission and always return your Cape Town rental car on time or arrange extended hire periods well in advance.
How to source affordable car hire in Cape Town
For competitive budget rates; outstanding, personalised service 24/7; pick up and drop off facilities at Cape Town international airport and a fleet of beautifully maintained motor vehicles ranging from the economical Chevrolet Spark, the 7-seater Opel Zafira to the top end luxury of the Mercedes Benz and BMW, browse Reeds Car Rental, the armchair solution to Cape Town car hire.